Last year when we were still living in Holland I won my first ever blog giveaway from the AH.MA.ZING Julia Bobbin. It traveled all the way from Australia to Holland and then back to New Zealand. This fabric has a seriously big carbon footprint. It needed to be made into something special. Which resulted in special-induced-inertia. (We all get that with certain fabric right?!)
After a lot of thought I made a gut decision when I saw Vogue 1267. I wanted a ‘sexy’ cocktail dress for a concert I was singing at and I thought this would fit the bill: covered up and comfortable, yet quite racy in its own way.
My thoughts on the pattern: relatively easy to sew although asymmetrical hems are just trying. (Thankfully I had the family on board to help – I’m sure they were all sick of it by the end!)
I made no adjustments apart from changing the fitting of the side seams. I went up two sizes (Vogue patterns are notoriously small) and needed to take it in all the way except to my ‘seat’ which happens to hit at the exact same place every pattern I ever make is tapering back in from the hips (of which I have none). I then let out the side seam from this point to the hem as I knew for stage I would appreciate the extra ‘wiggle’ room!
My only fail with this pattern was making the lining up as a toile and not taking into consideration the asymmetrical hem – oops, wrong way around! I chopped it off, turned it around and reattached it. (Don’t look on the inside!)
My only other comment was that probably the pattern and the fabric weren’t the best of friends. Probably something much more fitted and structured would have suited the satin as it really catches the light at every seam, crease, dart, fold… However that’s also what makes it a great choice for stage as it lit so well. (One of my friends in the audience remarked “It was like the lighting guy designed all the lighting just for your dress!”)